Monday, June 6, 2011

Balthazar

I've wanted to try Balthazar since the very first time I visited New York. Yet it was also so busy that I never got the chance to go. I have been to Pastis which is also opened by Keith McNally and serves similar french bistro food yet did not get to try Balthazar until recently. If you are unable to get a spot in the restaurant they have the bakery right next to the restaurant where you can get pastries, sandwiches, and coffee.



 

Alaskan King Crab Legs
The crab legs were incredibly fresh and had a lot of meat. Each leg was cracked at all the right places for easy access to the succulent crab meat. 
Steak Tartare
As you may be able to tell from all my previous posts, I am a steak tartare lover. We got the larger serving to share among 4 people and it was still a rather large portion and we had leftovers. The steak tartare was seasoned very well and the bread was perfectly crunchy and contrasted nicely with the tartare. The greens were a tad bitter for my tastes but added an interesting kick to the dish overall.
Seafood Curry Soup
This is a soup that my friend ordered but I did not try any. I am not completely sure of the actual name of the dish. Apologies

Warm Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tart 
I absolutely adore cheeses and goat cheese is one of my favorites. The taste can be quite strong for some but I love it. Caramelized onions is another one of my favorite things and therefore this tart is just made in heaven for me. The tart was very rich and heavy and full of strong flavors. The salad on the side helped balance out this robust flavors. The tart shell was buttery and fluffy. A must try for those who like goat cheese and quiche like pastries. 
Salmon Coulibiac with Mushroom and Dill Cream Sauce
Coulibiac is salmon wrapped in pastry and baked with various vegetables and other fillings. The salmon was cooked to absolute perfection, it was incredibly succulent and not overcooked at all. The cream sauce was rich and delicious. The puff pastry maintained its crunchiness on the outside while still being fluffy and soft on the inside, creating a perfect blend of textures with the salmon. An excellent dish. 
Duck Confit with Crispy Potatoes, Wild Mushrooms, and Frisee Salad
The duck confit was seasoned very well and the meat was tender while the skin was crispy. The wild mushrooms were also cooked very well and the crispy potato chips added a nice textural element to the entire dish. 
 All in all the meal was incredibly enjoyable. Make sure to make reservations because it fills up very quickly!

Balthazar 
80 Spring Street 
New York
NY 10012-3907

No comments:

Post a Comment