Monday, March 4, 2013

Mr. Bing

Although Beijing was highly polluted and sometimes I just got so sick of the noise and chaos, I really do miss the street food terribly! Anyone whose been to Beijing can recall that lovely first bite into a steaming hot jian bing after a night of fake alcohol and dancing to cheesy hip hop music at Vics or Mix. As much as I love the street food in Hong Kong as well, I really did yearn for that little plastic bag of goodies that I always munched on during my break between classes while at Tsing Hua and was SO excited when I heard that Mr. Bing was opening. Mr. Bing is opened by Brian Goldberg who fell in love with the snack while studying Mandarin in Beijing. I was unsure of how well this version was going to compare to the ones I've had at Beijing and I am so happy to announce that I APPROVE! These jian bings were delicious and brought back so many memories of my time in Beijing! Good job and I will be shoving my face with many more jian bing in the days to come!

Super cute logo!



I guess since I was used to the lightning speed efficiency of the Beijing experts I thought this guy moved at the pace of a snail! Yet the food was good so I guess it's ok...


Original Jian Bing with NO cilantro (blech!)


I felt that the crepe skin was a tad thick but it was nice and soft. The amount of sauce was very generous and was bursting with flavor. The crispy wafer inside was crispier than the version I've had in Beijing which was great! Overall a delicious pipping hot meal that perfectly hits the spot!
I've heard some complaints that these jian bings are no good because they are so overpriced as compared to Beijing. That is quite a thick remark because clearly you are not in Beijing. This store is also in Central where rent is sky high. I felt that the price was very reasonable at $30 for the original jian bing and I urge everyone to come try it out! There are also other interesting flavors and add ons which I am excited to test out on my next visit.

Mr. Bing
83 Wellington Street
Central
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment