Thursday, August 16, 2012

Frites

I haven't been to Frites in ages and the last time I came it was for lunch. I never even tried the mussels which they are famous for and therefore suggested it as the dinner destination for Friday before a night out. Frites is a bustling cozy Belgium Beer House that serves European food and has an extensive selection of beers. The restaurant was very full and was filled with the chatting of diners. I saw a couple people standing around waiting for tables so reservations are definitely recommended.

Frites House Mussels - Diced Tomatoes, Garlic, Onion, Light Cream, and Fresh Chives
The mussels were were meaty and was nice and plump. Although the texture and size was pleasing, the flavor was mediocre and not super flavorful. It didn't taste bad, but it was not bursting with freshness and seafood sweetness either. The sauce was disappointingly bland, usually I would soak up all the sauce and juices with the bread but this did not compel me to do so at all.

Frites and bread that came with the mussels
The bread was quite mediocre, the fries were crispy and the insides were fluffy. I personally prefer skinnier fries but these were quite good. They also came with mayo which is a major plus! 


Steak Tartare
The steak tartare came with all the trimmings for you to mix yourself. The steak tartare had a lovely burst of tangy and robust flavors and was very very good. The color was very attractive and the plate was wiped clean in no time. The only small complaint is that there could be slightly less of the sauce as when we mixed it all together with the egg it became a little runny. But I am just picking at straws I would definitely eat this again! 

Laksa - Coconut Cream and Kaffir Lime in an Aromatic Curry Sauce
The mussels were the same quality as the previous pot, but this time the sauce was much better. The laksa was very rich and flavorful taste and I enjoyed this much more. 

The Good Wife Sausage
I thought the name of this dish was quite amusing, and was even more amused when the waiter asked if we would actually want the Husband Sausage as it was thicker. Yes we are very mature but honestly what can you expect with such an offer? The sausage was very meaty (haha!) and was flavored decently. But it was definitely not the best sausage I've had (okay I'll stop) it wasn't bland but I prefer very juicy and flavorful sausages. It was a bit soft and didn't have a nice bite to it. I like sausages with a crisp skin that breaks to reveal the juicy meaty filling below. The sauce was very comforting and savory with a lot of lovely soft onions and this went well with the soft cushiony mash potatoes. Ok enough with this ridiculous dish.

Linguine De Fruits De Mer - Assorted Seafood and Braised Leeks in a Rich Tarragon Cream Sauce
I was quite stuffed at this point. The pasta was a little bit harder than al dente which may be a bit too undercooked for some but it was perfect for me. The sauce was creamy and infused with the flavors of the seafood. I didn't eat any of the mussels but the salmon was decent and went well with the linguine and cream. This dish was quite good but not something I would be craving to order again. 

All in all, Frites was an enjoyable dining experience and I would return again. This isn't something I would want to eat all the time but it is definitely a fun atmosphere to go with a bunch of friends to eat some solid quality food and giggle over how you can't pronounce the beer names. 

Frites
1/F
Queen's Place
74 Queen's Road
Central
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment